photo block

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

thou shalt not steal bicycles

My friend’s bike was stolen recently. Stolen! The bastard(s)! It was a cool bike – a fixie. It was parked and locked right outside of our local pub in the middle of a weekend day. So what if it was a cheap little lock. I can’t understand stealing someone’s bike. It’s the worst.

So now I’m feeling less ridiculous about using two locks lately. I mostly use two locks so that the bike is a little more stable at it’s rack. It makes it easy to lock both wheels and the frame. And it keeps the front wheel nice and straight so the bike looks sharp, not like it’s dangling and about to tip over.

I don’t think stolen bikes are recovered very often but maybe I should record my bikes’ serial numbers for the first time now, just for good luck. It seems like a bit of a pain, though. The numbers are mostly covered in greasy road grime so I’ll first have to clean them off. And then either get down underneath them somehow or turn them upside down. And then save the info somewhere. And then remember where I saved it. And then if something happens, have to deal with the cops that are like, ha ha, okay, sure, we’ll keep our eyes out for your bike, kid, ha ha.

How ‘bout if you just don’t steal my bike, okay?

3 comments:

JustinM said...

How about if we form a posse and go Liam-Neeson-in-Taken to get it back.

"If you let my bike go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

Vertigo said...

Glad to see I am not being paranoid carrying around two bike locks.

mindful mule said...

Justin: I’ve always wanted to be asked to join a posse! Thank you! Yes!

Vertigo: yeah, two seems better if it’s easy. I do one u-lock and one mini cable when I can. You’re blog’s pretty rad. I’m going to check it out some more. Thanks for dropping by.