photo block

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

darkness

The days have been getting longer now for about a month. I can almost get home in the evening without lights on the bike. But not quite. And anyway, it's probably better to overlap significantly into the various shades of dusk. The dream world, however, seems to lag behind a bit - still hung up on darkness. The other night I was riding my bike in darkness, in dream. Isn't it nice to get those extra miles in! I was riding up Arroyo Blvd. A route I take frequently. It's a nice windy road with older homes on the east and the Arroyo Seco natural area and wash to the west. Always, it seems, as I come around one particular bend in the road there is a car parked on the right side which forces me further left into the lane. I usually anticipate this. And it wouldn't be a problem except that, well, you know, why do so many cars take this route? And this night, this dream, was no exception. I rolled around the bend through the darkness, drifting left to move around the parked car. That was when I noticed I'd forgotten my light. I didn't see the beam reflecting off the car. Interesting that we otherwise hardly need lights at night, if we could always be riding alone out there on the streets. And it was then that I heard the sound of two other cyclists overtaking me to my left. I gave a quick wave of the hand which was illuminated in their headlights. They didn't seem to mind that I had no light, understanding that, well, who needs one, if we have the road to ourselves... As they passed I also realized that I'd forgotten my helmet. (At least I had my pants!) And it was fine. Out on a bike in the cool darkness... 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bedroom windows look out northeast onto the hills above Monrovia. It's been really noticeable, the last week or so, how much later it stays light. It's just a couple of minutes after 5 PM as I type these words. A few weeks ago it was dark by this time, now the hills are bathed in gold light and the sky looks light blue. These things make me happy.

mindful mule said...

Thanks, JAM. I saw those mountains, too! From my bike! Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

You didn't mention your arm warmers, leg warmers, balaclava, shoe covers and studded tires. Must have overlooked that.

mindful mule said...

Ha, thanks, Midnight! If it makes you feel any better, I have been wearing arm warmers, leg warmers, wind vest, wind jacket, wool cap, and full finger gloves on a few rides lately. The baklava I save for dessert! LOL. That being said, it's forecast to be 84 degrees and sunny for tomorrow's ride...