photo block

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sunglasses are so cool… Or are they? (Part II)

Having previously determined that sunglasses are not nearly as cool as we give them credit for, I’ll move on now to the flip side of this, as usual, counterintuitive storyline. Cool, cloudy, wettish days are when sunglasses really shine. Because they keep the skin around your eyes blocked from the cold wind and therefore give you the impression that you’re not so cold. And as we’ve likely all learned by now it’s all about our impressions of this world. Our minds rule our world. If we can tweak some minor sensory inputs that factor into these impressions, these perceptions then we expand the limits of what our mind will allow. We may only be talking about micro adjustments here, marginal gains, in the parlance of our times… but more and more I’m starting to believe that the difference between feeling good on a run and feeling like crap can be ever so slight, if not even the same but with a different perspective. As in running, in cycling, in life… put on those rose-colored glasses (or take them off or whatever) and enjoy these moments just a little longer, fuller, faster… a little more…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you where they're essential: in the semi-arid steppe climate where I've been for the last 7 weeks. There is snow everywhere on the ground but most days are blue skies and bright sun. I took out my parents' trash cans one day (about a 100-yard walk each direction) sans sunglasses. It took my eyes almost an hour to get back to normal.

Anonymous said...

I rarely wear sunglasses but when I do done a pair I more often than not slide them down my nose and look over the top. Until of course, someone approaches me. Then it's just a flick of my finger and wala, they are in place for creepy ogling.

amidnightrider said...

That anonymous above is me. I don't know how that happened after all these years of posting on your blog.

mindful mule said...

Thanks, JAM and John. Will these posts be enough to get us sponsored or at least some free demo shades?