photo block

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Happy Earth Day

It was kind of a weird Earth Day for me. Or maybe it was perfect. I can't figure it out.

I had an appointment at the DMV to renew my license at 3pm. It had been 15 years since I'd set foot in there. I was anxious. Remembering all the early eighties horror stories of long lines and bureaucracy…

I rode my bike there. It's Earth Day! Of course.

How can going to the DMV on Earth Day be perfect? Well, on bike remember… it celebrates/protests all that we juggle: our decisions… our reality… our passions…

And it turns out that the DMV ain't so bad these days. I was in and out of there in 14 minutes!

I felt so relieved.

I went buy the pub to celebrate on the way home.

Bike: 17.25 miles.

Happy Earth Day… everyday...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you have an appointment? Today is my mom's 70th birthday; she has to take a test to renew her license even though she hasn't had a ticket in god knows how long. She couldn't get an appointment until May 29th.

mindful mule said...

I had an appointment but I waited a while to make it after getting the notice to renew my license so I wasn't able to get it until a few days after my birthday - my license was expired for those few days but there's no penalty or fine or anything unless you get pulled over. Based on my experience yesterday your mom could probably get in and out of there without an appointment pretty quickly - it was pretty empty and mellow.

Anonymous said...

By the way, why do need a license? I think in the 11 years I've known you I have seen you drive exactly once. I have an acquaintance who is legally blind and I've seen him drive the same number of times as I have you.

mindful mule said...

Good point. Occasional drives. TSA. Buying alcohol.

Kristina said...

The last point - very important.

Anonymous said...

Leaving the pub on a bike makes lots of sense. It would have been a shame if you drove and had an issue after a few pops.

mindful mule said...

Thanks, Kristina and Midnight - i sense your understanding…