photo block

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

crossroads

Or perhaps this is what one could categorize as mid-life crisis. Something needs to change. I just can't keep riding these hammerhead bikes. Or maybe I should stop riding! I'm always tempted by the idea of fancy new carbon frame models but can they fit a wide enough tire? Can I squeeze a 28 in there? Is 28 even enough? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be going full in for steel randonneur style? Should I "make the leap" to… dare I say it… 650B?! And I can't just think of my present self but need to plan ahead for the rider I'll be next year and maybe ten or more years into the future. I can't imagine I'll want a carbon racer when I'm 25% older…  

Or maybe getting a carbon racer will breathe new life into my riding...

But maybe getting a steel rando will guide me in the direction I really ought to be going…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a carbon bike and a steel bike for touring. When I ride the carbon I hammer at around 13 MPH average. When I'm touring I average about 11 MPH.
In short, I would recommend, "save your money" and go steel.

mindful mule said...

Thanks, Midnight. I think you're right. Or maybe I should get both!

Kristina said...

They say that variety is the spice of life. Maybe you keep your bikes but add a new horse to the stable?
And you'll ABSOLUTELY want a carbon racer when you are 25% older. The nicest bikes I see usually sport a 50 or 60 year old dude riding!

mindful mule said...

Thanks, Kristina. I hope to be a 50 or 60 year old dude someday…