photo block

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

half-life of running shoes

The "new" shoes have run halfway to joining the 1000 Mile Club - at which point they will be retired -  because I've got to pick some kind of random number and that seems as good as any. They, the shoes, look and feel in pretty good shape still. There's a small hole in each upper near the little toe contact point. This holes developed probably within the first 100 miles and hasn't changed much since. 

I'm enjoying the shoes - even though they may be a half size too big - I didn't realize they were 2E wide when I first got them - but they're fine - they don't fall off, right…

Oh, for those of you that aren't keeping close track of what I've been running in, they're New Balance 730GB2. They have a 4mm drop from heel to toe - not much drop - so, a low heal and therefore a natural-er footfall. They're fairly close to what one might call a minimalist running shoe but with just enough heal to make downhill running a little nicer and faster. 

Towards the beginning of their running life, right around the time those two holes developed, I wasn't too confident that they'd ever join the 1000 Mile Club. Now I think they've got a good shot - even though, if they do make it, it will likely be just barely - they may disintegrate at quadruple digits. 


Already, they seem to have been swept from the shelves and discontinued. Always a temptation to stock up on a bunch of shoes when you find one you like to avoid this type of situation but I'm sure when the time comes "a [shoe] will rise…" 

2 comments:

mike-espo said...

They seem like they developed a personality of their own on the 1000 mile journey with you. I can see how you can't just throw them out. And, like your bikes - do the members of the 1000 mile club get names?

mindful mule said...

Good idea, Mike! I don't know why I never thought of that. I guess each shoe should really get its own name - two names per pair - like twins...