photo block

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

WWMMD?

No, that’s nothing to do with weapons of mass destruction. It stands for What Would Mindful Mule Do? (MM is my bike – the urban-mountain-do-it-all-workhorse(mule) – but, it’s also me.) You see, recently when having a tough time making a decision about something (generally trying to balance endurance pursuits with social life) I think of some of my blogger friends out there and consider how they might approach the same situation. It’s helpful in keeping me on track. Of course, some of those blogger friends are complete freaks of nature (I mean that in the most loving way) so sometimes you can really only take their example with a grain of salt.

Mindful Mule, however, is fairly well rounded. I can trust that Mindful will lead me down a pretty wholesome path. He rarely stays in the barn all day but he’ll probably never do a century. A 20-mile commute, a CICLE ride in Griffith Park, a trip to the grocery store, a trail ride up Brown, cruising Old Town in the evening – check. Mindful is up for all of these. But a mule needs his rest. A nap, a beer, a book, a giant burrito – these are on his checklist as well.

So, I guess what I’m saying is it’s important to stay close to home, close to your self. It’s great to push the envelope sometimes to make sure you’re not missing something, but generally there’s a pendulum of peaks and valleys and they all average out to something reasonable for our lives.

Thanks to you all for being there in my thoughts.

No comments: