photo block

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

race-state

Racing really throws a wrench into the system.  It (life, the world, the mind, the body, everything) is just not the same on race day. The weeks before and the days after aren’t exactly the same, either – erratic oscillations between extremes of mental and physical and psychological and probably some other –ical states. I think it’s what is called crazy. I’ve been a total wreck. And during the race! Man, then it’s like time and space do not even exist – total detachment – just pound and mountain, pound and mountain, pound and mountain… then eventually you surface again and you feel good again and you want to run! and you know why you went to the trouble. 
 

4 comments:

JustinM said...

I saw your picture and it made me happy.

mindful mule said...

There’s a picture of me!? I better go look for it…

Kristina said...

Great job again on the race!
You mentioned "peaking out" once which is a good term for the post-race mental wackiness. I'm not sure what the post-race term would be. For me, there is a deflated moment when I don't want to do anything physical, but then I look at pictures or results or both and remember how awesome the experience was and then it's on to the next one.

mindful mule said...

I think I’d call the post-race experience: trying to deal with the reality of the fact that we can’t stay at peak level forever, we have to go down the other side, and it’s a little sad for a while to feel the remnant adrenalins and such leaching out of our bodies. But like you mention, there’s always something brewing for the future… there will be other mountains to climb…