photo block

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Learning New Distances


Now that it's Fall and temperatures are dropping I'm starting to feel the pull for running longer distances. For the last couple weeks I've been experimenting with a new longer distance for my long run. It's actually quite a big increase - 33% - from before but so far it seems acceptable to the body. The mind is having a little more trouble with it because the run takes me right up to the edge of "are we there yet?" I think this is just an adjustment period, though. And soon this new distance will feel natural and normal. However it has pushed me over the edge into the area of needing fuel on the run. My previous distance was pretty much maxing out the no food option. I'm not sure how I feel about this because trail food is not always the healthiest of morsels. I generally take along some "fruit leather" which seems pretty alright. But they're also like 69 cents each - or are they 49 cents - well, anyway, not a big deal really but it adds into the equation. What I've found most helpful in adapting to this new longer distance is to just "sit" with the experience - to not try to get there or get home - just experiencing each stride as much as possible. On my last run through the arroyo I saw someone practicing Meditative Walking - essentially slowly walking with excellent form while trying to be aware to every sensation of the body and particularly the feet as they move across the earth. It would be great to bring this much awareness to the run. Hours and hours of meditative running… a mindful mule could get into that.

4 comments:

JustinM said...

Hey there's a full moon on November 28th... maybe we could revive that old idea.

mindful mule said...

Justin: Yes, for sure. We must honor The King of Pop... with a full moon walk.

Kristina said...

I always think about the cautionary tales that involve the "increase your distance slowly" philosophy, advice which I never seem to take. Definitely like the idea of meditative running, although I think that I tend to max out right around 2 hours!

mindful mule said...

I've heard those tales, too. And they're stuck in my head. But I break the rules because I am not a robot. And sometimes not-robots just need to let it ride... 2 hours was my no food max.