photo block

Sunday, September 9, 2012

best dressed run

After watching the Bruin victory at the bar last night I ran home to celebrate. To be more clear, the run was the celebration. Earlier in the day I'd been at a dress-up event and I was still wearing long pants, dress shirts and Birkenstock shoes. And it was night, dark, about 9pm. It might be hard to imagine but I've often found that these types of runs turn out to be the best. They're just so far from the norm of my running that it all seems new and fun. I was, of course, somewhat concerned about blisters developing from the run in the Birks so was ever so careful to monitor my feet. And equally careful to be present to each footfall, using a slightly modified fore-mid-foot landing with each step. The only modification to the outfit was to lose a few buttons on the shirt, including the cuffs, and untuck, of course. It was a warm night - maybe in the seventies and a little more humid than normal for here. But the run went surprisingly smoothly. Kinda in the vein of that rain ride the other day I just kept thinking This is so rad! I was conscious of the fact that I looked a bit out of place so tried to choose quieter streets to get home so as not to draw attention. And walked across intersections for same purpose. Only saw one cop - tried not to make eye contact - but what are they going to do - give me an RUI? I don't think so. It felt great, though, this run. And I'm left only with slightly sore calfs this morning. It really made me want to do more running. Probably not in the same outfit but more running through town at night - it's a fun time to be on foot and about for checking out the scene. And a pretty efficient way to travel - and cheaper than the train ride home that I was originally planning. 


3 comments:

JustinM said...

You own a dress shirt?

Nah, just messing with you. I enjoyed the game too, but it was close to midnight by the time the game ended here so I just got in bed.

mindful mule said...

"I rent [one]. I've got a lease with an option to buy." -Fletch

JustinM said...

"I love your body, Larry."